Preparations for Pet Scan
Preparing for Your PET Scan
A PET scan is one of the most effective imaging procedures to revolutionize modern medicine. In order to make sure your PET scan goes smoothly, please take a moment to review these preparations for your pet scan below, and as always, call us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you!
- Refrain from eating for at least six hours prior to your exam since the results of your test are affected by your blood sugar level. This includes NO chewing gum or sucking/hard candy.
- It is important to be well hydrated for your test, so please drink plenty of water beginning the day before your exam up to your appointment time.
- If you require pain medication or relaxants to stay still during the scan, please notify our staff at the time of scheduling your PET/CT scan and bring the medication with you.
- Do not perform any heavy lifting or exercising the day before or the day of your PET/CT scan.
- If you are diabetic, please notify our staff so that we may administer special instructions to you as necessary prior to your PET/CT scan.
- It is also recommended that you wear comfortable clothing with NO metal snaps, buttons or buckles.
- Arrive at our office 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. These 30 minutes will allow you to complete a medical history form and to finish drinking the oral contrast – if applicable – before your study begins.
- We will question you regarding any medical history that may pertain to your procedure. As such, please inform us of any prior imaging tests that you may have had, such as CT or MRI, so that we may obtain and review your previous images in combination with your PET/CT scan.