New Report recognizes 15 statewide facilities as offering New Jersey’s best practices in mammography.
Oct. 29, 2010 – A new report conducted by the New Jersey Health Care Quality Institute (NJHCQI) and AmeriHealth New Jersey evaluates the performance of 105 freestanding (non-hospital-affiliated) mammography centers across a range of criteria – and recognizes 15 facilities (representing 22 locations) as offering New Jersey’s best practices in mammography care.
Breast cancer screening rates for women 40 to 64 are significantly lower in New Jersey than the national average According to HEDIS (Healthcare Effectiveness and DATA and Information Set), in 2008, the percetage of women 40 to 64 receiving mammograms at least every other year was 68.74% among patients of HMO/POS practices and 64.6% for PPO practices; in New Jersey, the rates were 62.93% and 61.62%, respectively.
How mammography practices were assessed
In summer and fall 2009, AmeriHealth conducted site visits among the 105 freestanding mammography facilities that participated.
Site Assessment Tool:
- Conveinece of scheduling*
- Time to schedule next routine appointment
- Appointment availability on evenings or weekends
- Wait times
- Access – no need for a written prescription
- Availability of DEXA (dual energy X-ray absortiometry, or DEXA scanning, which measures bone mineral density)
- Changing area*
- Waiting rooms*
- Foam or cloth pads
- Use of digital technology
Timeliness of Results
- Exam notification*
- Primary Care/GYN notification
- Ease of scheduling follow up tests*
- Time to schedule follow up tests*
Accuracy of Results
- Methods in place to track*
- Assessment category in database*
- American College of Radiology Breast Center of Excellence recognition. (The Breast Imaging Center of Excelence designation is awarded to breast imaging centers that achieve excellence by seeking and earning accreditation in all of the ACR’s voluntary breast-imaging accreditation programs and modules, in addition to the mandatory Mammography Accreditation Program.)
- Use of a system to assure quality/accuracy
Commitment to Ensure Regular Testing
- Reminder system for routine exams
- Follow up for abnormal exams*